Wednesday 24 September 2014

Next steps


Yesterday we had the appointment with the doctor to talk about the results of the 2 IUI and talk about the next steps. Turns out that my oestrogen wasn't the greatest. The first time I had 3 eggs and the second time I had 2, but both time the oestrogen was barely good enough to support one egg.

Among all the medications I was taking the first 2 times, the Letrozol is supposed to reduce the level of oestrogen in the body. From what I understood, this is done to protect the body from hyper stimulating with the other drugs. Keep the level of oestrogen low, give other drugs to bring it to the perfect level, do the insemination with just the right amount of eggs and hormones. She says the effects of the Letrozol should be gone after 3 or 4 days.

The next step? We are doing another IUI without the Letrozol, and with a new drug for me, that will keep my body from ovulating (don't have the name handy right now). One of 3 things could happen: the perfect one would be that my levels of oestrogen get better, we do the insemination and I get pregnant. The bad one would be that all of that still happens but I don't get pregnant, in which case next time we'll do an IVF. The third one would be that my levels of oestrogen go so high that my body hyper stimulates and the doctor won't do an insemination because of the risk of multiples, so we turn it into an IVF at that moment.

We are taking this cycle and next one to get mentally and financially ready and maybe go for it in November. It's hard, but I'm trying to concentrate in the outcome and not the struggle that will be to go through all of it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment